Monday, April 25, 2011

Sugar & Spice, and all things Nice........

When I would think about having children,  I stressed myself out just thinking about having daughters. Afterall, I am a daughter and I know what I put my parents through.  I wasn't horrible, but I thought about boys, and being popular. I woke up every morning and took forever to decide what to wear, I worried about what other girls would think about me, high school could be a battlefield for a teenage girl.  You made your friends fast, and prayed it stayed that way..
So I knew if I had daughters I was going to have to be on my game.  I wanted to make it easier for them, then it was for me.  I know I can't walk with them and hold their hands forever, but maybe, just maybe they will hear my voice in their head, and feel reassured that it doesn't need to be so complicated.

Every now and then, I think of Sadie and Olivia as teenagers (even though it depresses me and makes me feel old), and this is what I picture....
My girls will be beautiful, smart and athletic. They will have a lot of friends and like a few boys.  Adrian and I's marriage will be tested to the end, because we will not see eye to eye, on the things we think they should and should not be doing.  Every one knows that Daddy's do not like to see their little girls grow up.  Dates will be almost impossible to get Adrian to say yes to, and his relationship with his daughters will constantly be on a roller coaster.  It's going to be an interesting ride, I don't think any parent can ever truly be prepared.  You can read all the books, and talk to all your friends for advice, but no 2 daughters are the same,  even within your own daughters. You might have a wild one & a calm one.  I still have a while before my girls start to show who they are going to be.  I just hope I'm going to be up for what's coming my way.....

Til my fingers dance again....


 

No comments:

Post a Comment