Thursday, April 28, 2011

It's amazing...

Expecting a child, is the most thrilling and terrifying experience, I think a woman could ever encounter. 
I know that when I was expecting both my girls, I was a nervous wreck. Thankfully, when I found out I was expecting Sadie I was already 3 months along.  I didn't have a chance to worry if I would make it thru the first 3 months. Most women know that those first months are very critical for the fetus.  When I found out I was expecting Olivia, I found out when I was 6 weeks along.  So, not only was I feeling like I was going to be pregnant forever,  I had the first 3 months to worry about.  And did I worry... I made sure I did everything right.  I ate right, drank nothing but water, took my vitamin, got plenty of rest.  But, the worst thing you can do when your pregnant is read things on the internet.  I would read all sorts of things, and then start freaking out.  Finally, my doctor said "Liana, if you don't stop getting on the internet, I'm going to take your phone and computer away."  I did what I was told, and I was able to enjoy my pregnancy.  Well, as much as one who is expecting a child can.  Because there is the uncontrolable hunger, then the urge to throw it all up, swollen feet, heartburn, the inability to get comfortable no matter how hard you try. For months Adrian and I were divided in our bed because of all my extra pillows. 5 to be exact.  Then something amazing happens around 5 1/2 months, you feel the first movement of that precious life growing inside of you.  Sadie was very active throughout the day, and chilled out at night.  Olivia on the other hand, was extremely active at night.  It was as if she knew I was trying to sleep.  There was kicks to the ribs, and somersaults.  It's an amazing feeling... It's even cooler to watch.  Sadie actually kicked a remote off my belly one afternoon.  Olivia just liked to roll, and my whole stomach would move from side to side.  If you have ever been pregnant, you know that your unborn child likes to make a fool of you.  Everytime, I would tell someone to look at my belly, or feel the kick, she would stop.
The day I gave birth to my girls, were completely different from eachother.  I went into labor with Sadie at 2:30 in the morning.  I knew I wanted to have an epidural for the pain. I'm sorry, but there was no way I would have been able to do it any other way.  I know, I know, women were doing it centuries before, with no pain medication, and in their beds at home. But this is the 21st century and I'm just a wimp... lol.  I labored for 12 hours with no pain, and 3 pushes to bring my precious daughter into the world. Okay, I am a huge believer now, of the saying, "no 2 pregnancies or deliveries are alike."  Only because I have experienced it myself.  I chose to be induced with Olivia, I went into the hospital at midnite the night before.  Was given medication, and began the wait.  I also decided to see how far I could go without pain medication.... 3 hours, that was the max. I was actually very proud of myself for holding out that long.  When I finally asked for my epidural,  they decided to mix it up on me. I had a 1/2 epidural, 1/2 spinal tap. It was supposed to be better for after birth, so I could get up sooner.  Well, let me tell you, if and when I ever have another child, I don't want any of this half and half stuff.  I was expecting no pain or discomfort, afterall it was that way with Sadie. Ha! I had no such luck with Olivia.  I felt everything, the contractions, the pressure, and Olivia, when she made it in to this world.  All after an hour of pushing, no 3 pushes this time.  I guess in a way, I'm glad I got to experience it both ways.  Pain, and no pain. 
Being pregnant and giving birth to my beautiful daughters, is the most meaningful thing I've ever done in my life.  I wouldn't trade either experience for anything.


Til my fingers dance again... love & happiness....

No comments:

Post a Comment